Friday, August 20, 2010

Chances

I am currently in the middle of reading an EXCELLENT book called, "It's Not About the Bike" by Lance Armstrong. If you haven't read it, please, please, please do. It is an awesome book that provides an incredible life perspective. Because John & I are both athletes, (and especially with John being a 3-time Ironman), this man is the ultimate inspiration for us. He is the picture of fight and determination...not just on the bike, but also in the battle with his own cancer, and the battle that he continues to fight millions of others who are dealing with this horrible disease. Although I haven't finished the book yet, I came across a part that I wanted to share because it had such a profound impact on me. While Armstrong was talking about it in terms of his cancer prognosis, I think it can be applied to the every day life of a dreamer.

Armstrong wrote: "What are my chances? It was a question I would repeat over and over. But it was irrelevant, wasn't it? It didn't matter, because the medical odds don't take into account the unfathomable. There is no proper way to estimate somebody's chances, and we shouldn't try, because we can never be entirely right, and it deprives people of hope. Hope that is the only antidote to fear."

What are YOUR chances? What are the chances that YOU will achieve all of the things that you dream about for YOUR life? It doesn't really matter what your chances are because the logic of those dreams doesn't "take into account the unfathomable"...it doesn't take into account all of the intangibles that we each carry inside us. So regardless of your chances, keep on dreaming. Keep on hoping....because hope is "the only antidote to fear."

Thank you Mr. Armstrong for your contribution to our lives as an incredibly inspirational man, your contribution to the world of cycling and endurance sports, and most of all your continued dedication to the fight against cancer. LIVESTRONG and God Bless :-)

No comments: